I am suuuuuper excited! After ABK told me about the new Muppet OPI nail polish line, I saw the lovely Rainbow Connection in the latest Ulta circular. I immediately errupted in a childish tantrum, screaming and yelling and had Andrew to point out what polish on the specific page would be my polish of choice. He nailed it. Luckily, one of my sweet co-workers has a Davidson’s card, which allows for awesome discounts. Today, Donna purchased Rainbow Connection and Kyoto Pearl for me – for half price! Kyoto Pearl is not an offspring of the Muppet line, but will look gorgeous during the winter season!
Well, it took me a week to get off of island time! Eight days with your toes in the sand and no use for a clock or calendar is THE life. Sure, I was lazy and lounged around and gained a million pounds from all of the delicious dinners and late night munching while playing Spades, but I also found a few bargains at the local Maxway.
TI (Topsail Island) koozies in red for Andrew (the die-hard NCSU fan’s favorite color) and teal for me – $1.00 each!
A jungle theme shower curtain for the guest bathroom in chocolate brown – $2.50!!
And, my very own floppy sun hat for $9.99!
Now, I’m getting excited about the fair and Halloween! Lots of deals, sales, and fun times to look forward to!
Do you remember how you felt, as a child, to excitedly look forward to a super fun family vacation? Do you remember counting down the school days until summer vacation? Do you remember the nostalgia that began after Thanksgiving and lasted through Christmas? Okay, so this one still happens for me… Well, here’s another one of life’s highs – paying off a credit card. I was on target to pay that sucker off in December, but fate had another plan. I know you’ve heard of the gold-buying sales commercials. I was skeptical, too. Skeptical until two co-workers racked up. This past Saturday, I took a handful of gold jewelry (two necklaces with two charms and two bracelets) to Bailey’s in Cameron Village. The place was buzzing with other hopefuls like me. I left with a nice check and used that to pay off the credit card early. The debt snowball is gaining speed and the baby steps are more within reach. I am far from done, but this accomplishment gives me the motivation to keep on keepin’ on. Here’s to motivation, and here’s to GOLD!
As to not spread myself to thinly during the holidays, I like to buy Christmas gifts all throughout the year. Yesterday, I was at my favorite store in the whole world, Stein Mart, and saw the most adorable gift for Morgie. At 5 years of age, I think she will appreciate the yummy package and the cute necklace. I can imagine her now – coloring at her desk in Kindergarten, setting a trend!
The cupcake box:
And opening the lid reveals the cupcake necklace. Sweet!
The cupcake treat is also available in teal and purple… and is a whopping $8.99!
Workin’ on My Slice of the Pie
I am as tight as a tick… and it is GLORIOUS. For my readers who don’t know me personally, I totally just gave away the fact that I’m from the country. Hee hee. My daddy would be proud. Tonight, I took advantage of the two-day promotion at Pei Wei. An online order with the promotional code “BIRTHDAY” (not mine – I’m 29 and holding from here on out) knocked off 20% of the total bill. I was able to get two meals for $13.15, after tax. Not bad. And worth all 750 calories…
Speaking of dinner, are you in need of groceries? Tired of losing that list on a sticky note and trying to remember what was on it? Hello, FREE Out of Milk app! Thanks to that doll of a friend, Bluefish, my life just got easier. And when you get back home with your organic peanut butter, did you know that storing the jar upside down prevents the oil from pooling at the top? Thanks Trader Joe’s employee!
While we’re on a roll in the organization department… if I need to send e-invitations or e-cards, I typically use Hallmark (though the FREE pool of e-cards is quickly dwindling) and Evite. Watch out! Thanks to Samantha, Chavon’s matron of honor, I have been introduced to Punchbowl. This service provides both FREE e-cards and e-invitations that are adorable. The best part? Clicking on the mailbox and watching your “card” open. Even lets you customize your stamp!
I am sad to report that Borders is closing for good. The going out of business sales have already begun at all stores, with items up to 40% off. I am thinking of early Christmas gifts!
An Apple a Day
Hate that harsh chemical smell of your nail polish remover (and worry about skin contact)? Try Karma Organic Nail Polish Remover with Soybean Oil and Lavender. ($12)
Show up for FREE yoga classes and get your stretch on at North Regional Library on 8/4 and 8/23 at 7pm. Howie is hilarious and uses phrases like, “Isn’t that savory?” Who knew retired dentists were so flexible?
Whether it is a craving after too much partying or the “meat” of your Midol and chocolate sandwich… When ordering pizza, you can still go the healthy route: Ask for thin crust (less bread equals less calories); pile on the veggies (less room for cheese equals less calories); steer clear of pesto (has more calories than tomato sauce); if adding meat, choose ham or chicken over sausage or meatballs (less fat); and blot your pizza with a napkin.
Take advantage of Ornamentea’s Try-It-Tuesday class on 8/2. Learn a technique and leave with a cute accessory, all for $3!
I’m super excited to share my news – I am now on Etsy! My collection of TIT pieces was overflowing and I’ve even started making jewelry at home, so I compiled everything and created my very own StrawberryBlossoms store. Hooray!
Girls Just Wanna Have…
Need a creative birthday gift? Scentsy’s warmer of the month, Cupcake, is 10% off through July.
Rent 2 Redbox movies at the same time between now and July 31, verify your email address at checkout, and receive a FREE one-night DVD promo code good between 8/1 – 8/14.
Attend Raleigh’s FREE ComeUnityNow Festival on July 30 10am-10pm in City Plaza. Stop by the Logan’s Trading Company tent to get a coupon.
State Fair tickets go on sale at 10am on 8/1. You’ll be able to buy them online on the fair’s website at a discounted rate. Advance price tickets for adults ages 13 to 64 will be $6 (instead of the regular price of $8). The price is $2, instead of $3, for kids ages 6 to 12. And ride tickets will be $10 for a sheet of 18. They’ll sell for $1 per ticket during the fair. The advance price is good from 8/1 to 10/13. Tickets for concerts in Dorton Arena also go on sale on 8/1 (Tift Merritt performs on 10/16!). The State Fair runs 10/13 to 10/23, this year.
I have been thinking of incorporating this slight change to Fashion Cents on a Dime. There are four areas of life that remain high on my list of priorities – saving money, health, making jewelry, and having fun, and I’d like to touch on each area during most blog posts. Who doesn’t want to be rich, feel fabulous, look fabulous, and have fun doing all three?
Happy Fourth of July weekend! Driving to Brier Creek for dinner last night, I was surprised with a good thirty minutes of fireworks. Lots of people pulled onto the side of highway 70 to take a moment to enjoy the show. But the Triangle has much more than fireworks in store for those of you interested in celebrating:
- Through today, Earth Fare has whole seedless watermelons for only $2! Must present coupon. (www.earthfare.com)
- Through today, buy one entree get one FREE at Draft Carolina Burgers and Beers. (http://www.draftraleigh.com/eblast/IndepDay063011/exports/coupon.pdf)
- Today at Lake Benson Park, Garner celebrates with live music, the NC Symphony, kids’ activities, and fireworks (9:30pm). Gates open at 5pm. FREE
- Today at South Park in Fuquay Varina, live music, kids’ activities, and fireworks. Gates open at 6pm. FREE
- Through Monday, July 4, select beach towels are 60% off at Kohl’s. (www.kohls.com)
- Through Monday, July 4, Party City has lots of patriotic items (cups, table covers, plates) buy one get one FREE. (www.partycity.com)
- Through Monday, July 4, Bruegger’s will donate $1 from every Big Bagel Bundle purchase (a baker’s dozen bagels and two tubs of cream cheese) to Home for Our Troops. And if you are feeling brave and don’t mind the food coloring, red, white, and blue bagels are options. (http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/Calendar/1306420942?view=Detail&id=108221)
- Through Monday, July 4, Whole Foods offers a $20 bundle meal deal including approximately one pound of wild-caught Sockeye salmon, a family size mixed green salad, a six-inch apple pie, and thirty-two ounces of Santa Cruz organic lemonade – a $13 savings! (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/storespecials/NRL_specials.pdf)
- Through Monday, July 4 (10-6pm daily), Durham’s Festival for the Eno offers live music, garden expos, arts, and children’s activities. Admission is $15/person. (www.enoriver.org/festival/index.html)
- Through Monday, July 4, Perfumania offers 10% off select items plus FREE shipping on orders $25 or more plus three FREE samples with every order. Use coupon code “JULY4TH”. (www.perfumania.com)
- Through Monday, July 4, get 20% off of any one sale item at Stein Mart. (http://f.e.steinmart.com/i/24/2075620050/6_29_July4_Coupon.pdf)
- Through Monday, July 4, paints and stains are 30% 0ff at Sherwin Williams. (www.sherwin-williams.com)
- Through Monday, July 4, 16.6 pound bags of Kingsford charcoal briquets are buy one get one FREE at Lowe’s. (www.lowes.com)
- Monday, July 4, live music, sports competitions, arts and crafts, and mini-golf will be held at the State Fairgrounds beginning at 5:30pm. Fireworks begin at 9:45pm. FREE
- On Monday, July 4, look for the NC Symphony (7:30pm show) and fireworks (immediately following) at the Koka Booth Amphitheatre in Cary. FREE
Here are some other events to look forward to:
- On Tuesday, July 5, try Ornamentea’s Try-It-Tuesday project for only $2! (www.ornamentea.com)
- Through Thursday, July 7 , get a FREE dessert when you purchase two entrees at Rocky Top Hospitality restaurants. (http://www.rockytophospitality.com/eblast/Rockytop_062911/couponIndep0711.pdf)
- On Thursday, July 7 and Tuesday, July 26, join the FREE yoga classes at North Regional Library. Classes start at 7pm. (http://www.wakegov.com/libraries/locations/northregional/default.htm)
- Through Friday, July 8, get 99 4″ x 6″ prints for 99 cents at Snapfish. Use coupon code “JULYPENNY99”. (http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/storepage/storePageId=store-summer-penny-prints)
- On Friday, July 8, visit any Chick-fil-A store dressed like a cow and get FREE “chikin”. (http://www.cowappreciationday.com/)
- On Saturday, July 9, Logan’s offers a FREE terrarium class at 10am. (http://www.logantrd.com/2011/terrarium/) Also, during the month of July, buy two hostas get one FREE. And, here’s a coupon for 25% off of anything red, white, or blue in the Gift Room (through 7/31). (http://www.logantrd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/RWB-July-Coupon-2011.jpg)
- On Saturday, July 9, chat with bead maker, Lynn Burcher, from 11-3pm at the Museum of History. Make a paper bead and sample some treats. (http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/wgo/programs.html#july)
- Check out Sam Moon’s newest arrival, the Shell Flower Ring, for only $5! Available in turquoise, black and grey, fuchsia and clear, or pink and beige. (http://www.sammoon.com/items_amj.asp?sub=sub101&cat=jewelry&tempcat=LRINGS&tbl=LRINGS&img=6232011_mg_3765&id=2428)
- Take a look at the latest Kohls Cares items for only $5 each – any Clifford plush animal character or one of four Clifford children’s books. (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/kohlscares/kidscausemerchandise.jsp)
- Every Saturday from 1-4pm, World Market offers FREE wine tasting. (www.worldmarket.com)
- At Ulta every Monday through Wednesday with a level 1 designer, get a color, cut, and style for just $50 – a $40 savings! (www.ulta.com)
- To give your meal a different feel with new “lamps”, gather wineglasses, scrapbook paper, LED tea lights, scissors, and double-sided tape. Go to www.goodhousekeeping.com/candlelamps and get a template for a shade. Easy and adorable. Found in the May 2011 issue.
Enjoy your holiday and be safe, but no matter how you celebrate, try this new Grilled Bananas recipe from Whole Foods. This could be successfully paired with a burger, beer, or ice cream. Mmmmmm.